VISWANATHAN ANAND - IYER
Viswanathan Anand was born on 11 December 1969 at mailadudurai thiruvarur districts in tamil brahmin iyer family.Viswanathan Iyer, is a retired General Manager of Southern Railways, and his mother Susheela, housewife.
Anand was educated at don bosco higher secondary school chennai, and holds a degree of bachelor of commerce from loyola college, chennai
He is married to Aruna Anand and has a son born on 9 April 2011.
an Indian chess grand master and former world chess champion. Anand has won the World Chess Championship five times (2000, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012), and was the undisputed World Champion from 2007 to 2013.
Anand was the World Blitz Chess champion in 2000. Anand was the FIDE World Rapid Chess Champion in 2003, and is widely considered the strongest rapid player of his generation. He is one of the two world champions who won the Classical, Rapid and Blitz world championships.
Anand has won the chess oscar six times (1997, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008). Anand is the only world champion who won the world championship playing in all different formats (Match, Tournament, and Knockout)
Anand became India's first grand master in 1988. He was also the first recipient of the rajiv gandhi kel ratna Award in 1991–92, India's highest sporting honour.
In 2007, he was awarded India's second highest civilian award, the padma vibushan making him the first sportsperson to receive the award in Indian history
Anand has received many national and international awards.
indian national honours
- arjuna award for Outstanding Indian Sportsman in Chess in 1985.
- padma shri – Fourth highest civilian award awarded by government of india in 1987.
- The inaugural Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, India's highest sporting honour in the years 1991–1992.
- Padma Bhushan – Third highest civilian award awarded by government of india in 2000.
- Padma Vibhushan – Second highest civilian award awarded by government of india in 2007.
- National Citizens Award and Soviet Land Nehru Award in 1987
- british chess federation "Book of the Year" Award in 1998 for his book My Best Games of Chess.
- Jameo de Oro the highest honour given by the Government of Lanzarote in Spain on 25 April 2001. The award is given to illustrious personalities with extraordinary achievements.
- Anand has won the chess oscar in 1997, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008. The Chess Oscar is awarded to the year's best player according to a worldwide poll of leading chess critics, writers, and journalists conducted by the Russian chess magazine
- Sportstar Millennium Award in 1998, from India's premier Sports magazine for being the sportperson of the millennium.
- "Global Strategist Award" for Mastering many formats of World Chess Championships by nasscom in 2011.
- Tamil Nadu chief minister j. jayalatiha honoured Anand with a cheque of Rs 2 crores, for winning the World Chess Championship for the fifth time.
- In 2012, he received the "Indian sportsperson of the year" and "Indian of the year" awards.
- In 2014 Anand was awarded the Russian Order of Friendship for the development of economic, scientific and cultural ties with Russia. The Order of friend ship award.